Friday, September 4, 2009

a grail quest


11:09 2 September, East Delta bus to Taba

Today I'm celebrating the four month (one semester) anniversary of my college graduation by embarking on an unplanned adventure. I am still traveling with Devin, and we've picked up a Californian named Eliot for next two days, so I have travel companions. Aside from the fact that such companions will ensure that I won't die alone, they also help to keep the trip more affordable. I suppose it's only appropriate to reveal the details of the adventure, so that further posts are easier to follow...

Step One: Take a bus from Dahab to Taba near the boarder of Israel.
Step Two: Catch a taxi across the boarder into Eliat.
Step Three: Walk across the Israeli Frontier to the boarder of Jordan
Step Four: Cross into Jordan and catch a cab to Aqaba
Step Five: Catch a bus from Aqaba to the fabled lost city of Petra

We'll be staying two nights in Petra, which promises to be one of the most dramatic experiences of an already life-changing trip. I hadn't planned on visiting Jordan, but because we're so close to one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, I couldn't pass it up. And the adventure goes further and farther after we leave Petra. I'll say goodbye to Devin in Jordan, as he has to undergo forty consecutive hours of travel in order to go straight from Petra back home to Oregon, and get myself to Jerusalem. There I'll be staying with my friend Micaela, who has just moved into the city she'll be living in for the next year. I spend two, maybe three, days in Jerusalem before making my way back to Egypt where I'll have a little less than a week to wrap things up before flying out to the United Arab Emirates.

I hope this has provided a good overview of my upcoming travels, and I'll be filling in the details as I'm able over the next week.


10:54 4 September, Internet Cafe in Eilot

I have just made it back from Jordan after a truly awe-inspiring visit to Petra. I don't have time to elaborate, or to upload many photos right now, but I wanted to leave you all with a few teasers of my expiriances in Petra...

Approaching the ancient world's most famous facade...

...and heading in.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to go to Petra! I look forward to hearing more about it... have a nice time with Micaela in Jerusalem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice (and also Suz). The pictures are quite artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "heading in" is a great picture! Very dramatic! I'll bet you got out of Petra by choosing the cup with "J.C." carved into it.

    ReplyDelete