Thursday, June 18, 2009

formatting


Good afternoon campers.  As you may have noticed, I've been tinkering with the "Settings" and "Layout" options on my blog, and I now have a spiffy new header.  I've tried my best to be creative despite the fact that the only "design" program I have is Apple's Pages - which operates a lot like Microsoft Word for the Mentally Handicapped - but I'm quite happy with the result.  I have also learned, with some trial and error, how to import pictures into my blog, which means it's time for...

"Guess what all these pictures have in common!"


Castles carved into the hillside...

A gorgeous, if slightly short (>26 mile), coastline...

Majestic peaks towering over the countryside...

Tranquil lakes, dotted with adventure-promising islands...

Yes, you would be correct if you guessed "all of these things can be found in New Hampshire", but these pictures are from somewhere almost as magical.  In fact, each of these pictures was taken in the little-known European country of Slovenia.  Slovenia is, to its Balkan peers, kind of like the smart kid that's put in a classroom of underachievers to balance out the average GPA.  And while it must contend with being associated with countries that insist on sitting in the back of the classroom ethnically-cleansing their classmates, Slovenia does its best to demonstrate that it can shine admits inferiority (if I sound at all bitter, this is only because of my own experiences in 8th grade history).  

Anyway, Slovenia is the first country that I will be visiting that many people are not likely to be familiar with - Iceland and Denmark benefiting from reasonable prominence.   So I've decided to do a few blog posts over the next week to familiarize people with some of the more obscure or poorly-understood countries that I'll be stopping in.  Though, don't expect me to post anything about Egypt, as there's nothing that I could write that would be more informative than the comments that would be left on such a posting by my friend Katy.


No comments:

Post a Comment